APTA accredited residency programs
Customized therapy solutions for your patient
Advance your development as a physical therapist with our clinical residency programs. These intensive, yearlong trainings will prepare you to sit for board certification and equip you to meet the demands of advanced clinical practice.
The Select Medical Orthopedic Residency Program
Tuition is waived for full-time clinicians who commit to two years of employment with Select Medical's Outpatient Division family of brands.
Available in: Arizona, California, Florida, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Missouri, New Jersey, Ohio and Texas
Accredited by the American Board of Physical Therapy Residency and Fellowship Education (ABPTRFE), this year-long, multi-site program brings clinical mentors to you. Our board certified specialists work with each resident right in their own outpatient center, minimizing travel and providing a better learning experience.
Since its initial accreditation in 2012, the program has attained a graduation rate of more than 90%. Graduates have gone on to serve as residency faculty members, educators in academia and leadership positions within the physical therapy community. To apply, candidates must have an unencumbered license to practice in the state in which their mentoring will occur.
For more information on Select Medical's Residency Program, please email [email protected].
Our Partner Residency Programs
- Oncology Physical Therapy Residency (Dallas-Fort Worth, TX) - A partnership with Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation.
- Orthopedic Residency (St. Louis, MO) - A partnership of Saint Louis University and SSM Health Physical Therapy
- Physical Therapy Residency in Women's Health (Dallas, TX) - A partnership of Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation and Texas Women's University
- Residencies in Neurologic Physical Therapy:
- A partnership of Baylor Scott and White Institute for Rehabilitation and Texas Women's University (Dallas, TX)
- Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation (New Jersey)
- Sports Physical Therapy Residencies:
- Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation (Dallas, TX)
- A partnership of Select Physical Therapy and Husson University (Bangor, ME)
- A partnership of NovaCare Rehabilitation and University of Cincinnati (Cincinnati, OH)
- Women's Health Residency (St. Louis, MO) - A partnership of Saint Louis University and SSM Health Physical Therapy.
The Select Medical Fellowship in Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapy
Accredited by ABPTRFE in 2020, this 18-month program is also designed to meet the requirements of the Accreditation Council on Orthopaedic Manual Physical Therapy Education (ACOMPTE) allowing graduates to obtain Fellowship status with the American Academy of Orthopaedic Manual Physical Therapists. Since its inception, the program graduation rate is 100%, and 100% of graduates would recommend the program to a peer seeking Fellowship training in manual therapy. Program graduates also have the opportunity to support their peers and apply to become faculty for both our Fellowship and Residency Programs, something that 100% of graduates have gone on to do.
Similar to our Orthopaedic Residency Program, tuition is waived for full-time clinicians who commit to two years of employment with Select Medical's Outpatient Division family of brands, and uses a model in which the mentor travels to the fellow in training.
To apply for this program, the participant must possess at least one of the following additional qualifications for admission:
- American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties (ABPTS) specialist certification in the related area of specialty as defined within the Description of Fellowship Practice (DFP), or
- Successful completion of an ABPTRFE-accredited residency in a related specialty area as defined within the DFP.
For more information, please contact [email protected].
NovaCare Rehabilitation Philadelphia Sports Physical Therapy Residency
This 12-month ABPTRFE accredited sports residency program includes a combination of mentored and independent clinical hours in the Temple University Olympic Sports and Football training rooms as well as a NovaCare Rehabilitation outpatient center in Philadelphia, PA. This experience also includes a combination of sports- and orthopedic-specific didactic coursework and in-person labs. Using NovaCare Rehabilitation's relationships with local sports teams and treating physicians, the resident will also complete interdisciplinary shadowing and more than 200 on-field hours. Since its inception, the program has a 100% completion rate and a 100% board exam pass rate. For the duration of this program, as long as the resident remains in good standing within the program, the resident will be considered a full-time employee of NovaCare and eligible for full-time benefits.
We accept one resident per calendar year and invite applicants to apply by December 1 for a July start. For questions, please reach out to: Patrick Smith, program coordinator, at [email protected], or Joel Roth, program director, at [email protected].